Sr Administrative Assistant (Department of Neurosurgery)
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity â of culture, thinking, learning and leading â is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Welcome to Vanderbilt and the Department of Neurological Surgery. Our top ranked facilities include Vanderbilt University Medical Center and Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Childrens Hospital at Vanderbilt, and the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Partnerships with the Nashville Veterans Administration and an ever-expanding affiliate network of community and regional medical systems, provide the patient base for Vanderbilt.
The growth of our Department as well as our surgical volume has resulted in neurosurgery becoming one of the very busiest single surgical services at Vanderbilt. I am very proud of the Department of Neurological Surgery and I encourage you to take a careful look and discover the winning qualities that define Vanderbilt.
Reid C. Thompson, MD William F. Meacham Professor of Neurological Surgery, Chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery, and Director of Neurosurgical Oncology
About the Role:
Performs administrative and business support related duties of a complex nature in support of an area with minimal guidance.
The Department of Neurological Surgery is seeking candidates with excellent organizational & verbal/written communication skills, the ability to work independently and in a team environment, and ability to manage multiple projects.
Performs a variety of administrative support which may include, but not limited to, scheduling, booking travel and budget reconciliation.
Ensures data/records are created and maintained to document financial, planning, correspondence, procedures, processes and other information.
Compiles data, analyzes information and summarizes findings in support of an area.
Prepares reports and other documentation as requested.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CLERICAL/ADMINISTRATIVE (INTERMEDIATE):- Clerical/Administration is a skill which includes most clerical and administrative functions typically carried out by secretaries, administrators and others who perform a clerical role. Among the duties are: Ad Hoc Reporting, Calendar Maintenance, Data Entry, Document Duplication, Document Filing and Maintenance, Document Preparation, Employee Record Maintenance, Employee Time Recording, Faxing and Electronic Mailing, Inventory Management, Mail Sorting and Distribution, Meeting Coordination and Scheduling, Message Management, Receptionist Tasks, Special Projects, Spreadsheet Preparation, Travel Arrangements, and Word Processing and Typing.
AD HOC REPORTING (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to access information from databases and prepare reports.
DATA ANALYSIS (INTERMEDIATE):- The ability to analyze data in an accurate manner.
FINANCIAL PROCESSES (NOVICE):- Ability to monitor costs, expenses and revenue as well as the ability to manage those costs and expenses in relation to budgeted amounts.
HUMAN RESOURCES POLICIES AND PROCEDURES (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- Knowledge, adherence and application of human resources policies and procedures.
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University Medical Center provides its faculty and staff members with a benefits package that is comprehensive and flexible. Components for benefits-eligible employees include:
Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
**Minimum Qualifications Required **
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 4 years relevant experience
VUMC Recent Accomplishments:
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
Â· US News & World Report:#1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Â· Truven Health Analytics:among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Â· Becker's Hospital Review:one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
Â· The Leapfrog Group:grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
Â· National Institutes of Health:among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Â· Magnet Recognition Program:Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Â· Nashville Business Journal:Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
Â· American Hospital Association:among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Organizational Impact: Performs non-routine tasks that significantly impact team's performance with minimal guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts research and analysis to solve some non-routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies broad job knowledge and has basic job skills in other areas.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to less experienced team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S3):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues' priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards .
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S3):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of our leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.