The Maternal Fetal Medicine Center is currently looking for a Genetic Counselor to join our dynamic team. This position will work with our patients and the Maternal Fetal Medicine physicians and staff to provide genetic counseling services to our high risk OB patient population. A successful associate will have the ability to effectively problem solve and respond to a variety of situations in a positive, professional manner. Must be able to function in a fast-paced work environment, multitask, and appropriately prioritize work. Must demonstrate an ability to effectively promote a constructive work environment as well as display a courteous and professional demeanor towards internal and external members of the team as well as patients and families.
Care Site Description
Saint Joseph Hospital is part of SCL Health, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and our focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health – and hope – to our patients.
- Denver (estab.1873)
- Largest acute care provider in Denver area
- 2,397 associates, 1,332 medical staff, 108 residents
- 371 beds
- New $623 million, 360-bed, 826,000-square-foot replacement facility (December 2014)
Services & Expertise
- Breast Care Center
- Cardiovascular Services
- Center for Women and Infants
- Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Emergency Services
- Medical Imaging
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Surgical Care
- Weight Loss Surgery Center
Kudos: Saint Joseph Hospital offers excellence across the continuum of care for patients.
Specific responsibilities will also include:
- Responsible for the delivery of services and resources in order to analyze, counsel, educate and to provide follow-up of individuals and family members suspected to have inherited conditions in their personal or family history that may affect their unborn baby.
- Counsels individuals and family members and provides individuals and families accurate, up-to-date information regarding their risks and the medical and psychosocial implication of genetic testing
- Reviews modes of inheritance and presents risk information based on pedigree analysis. Conducts risk and mutation probability analysis and calculations.
- Facilitate genetic testing; evaluate and interpret results. Conducts prenatal genetic intakes for hereditary genetic risk assessment. Interprets individual and family member medical and psychosocial histories. Reviews patient concerns, motivations, expectations, risk perceptions and clarifies the purpose of the evaluation. Formulates strategies for individuals to cope with and manage risk.
- Collect and manage resources for individuals to cope with and manage risks.
- Provide risk appropriate management guidelines to physicians and education to healthcare providers about hereditary syndromes.
- Discusses testing strategies with individuals in order to refine genetic risk and identify family members at-risk.
- Selects, facilitates and interprets genetic tests in context of the analysis. Reviews implications with the individual and their family and provides crisis intervention.
- Document accurate and complete summary of the counseling testing and follow up provided.
- Offers appropriate referrals and works with Maternal Fetal Medicine physicians and other departments within Women's & Children's Services
- Good working relationship with laboratory staff to discuss tests to be performed
- Provides professional follow up with Maternal Fetal Medicine staff and physicians and provides education as needed.Participates in outreach, education and training activities and represents the Maternal Fetal Medicine Center in these endeavors
- Master's Degree
- Minimum of 3 years experience preferred, with at least 1 year in an OB/MFM setting
- Board Eligible or board certified by the American Board of Genetic Counseling or American Board of Medical Genetics.
: Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver, CO
: CO-Denver/Boulder/Surrounding Areas-Denver
Department: SJD-Center for Perinatal Med
: Per Diem/PRN
: Day Shift
: Jan 27, 2017, 2:01:38 PM