In this position, the Registered Respiratory Therapist will demonstrate the SVH Core Vales at all times. The associate will work collaboratively with the Respiratory Therapy manager, supervisor and lead staff, who oversee and coordinate patient care provided by the Respiratory Therapy department. The associate will be accountable for carrying out all respiratory care ordered by physicians according to approved policies, procedures and guidelines, and will keeps abreast of any changes by attending department staff meetings and huddles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains required certifications, including BLS, ACLS, PALS and NRP
- Operates, maintains, and monitors a wide variety of equipment including ventilators and those that are involved in the administration of prescribed gases and inhaled medication.
- Performs arterial punctures, arterial line sampling and operates POC ABG instruments
- Cleans and maintains artificial airways as directed
- Acts as a clinical resource to nursing staff by assisting with decision-making, assessment, treatment and documentation of respiratory care
- Works with other members of the inter-disciplinary healthcare team and the patient/family to assist in comprehensive respiratory care
- Communicates professionally and effectively at all times and demonstrates excellent teamwork
- Actively participates in activities that improve patient care and contribute to quality improvement
Patient Care and Assessment
- Reviews patient's chart and obtains history for pertinent information before each therapy or procedure
- Performs accurate patient assessment and orders appropriate therapies based on the Respiratory Therapy Evaluation and Treatment protocol
- Notes any changes in therapy or testing due to patient condition
- Sets up equipment for age specific needs and collaborates with physician and nursing staff to make adjustments
- Provides patient/family education regarding disease process, indications for and use of medications, signs and symptoms of exacerbation and ordered therapies and diagnostic tests