Job Description for Cardiovascular Surgical Tech:
Demonstrates accountability and responsibility for practice behaviors in context with current professional practice standards, policies and procedures.
- Complies with and maintains contemporary knowledge of hospital, administrative, safety and departmental standards.
- Maintains organizational skill and manual dexterity in the economy of time, motion, and supplies in a safe and efficient manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to anticipate and prioritize care intraoperatively and competently carry out tasks in a timely manner.
- Maintains focus on surgical procedure with attention to detail; Identifies emergency situations and institutes corrective actions in a calm and efficient manner.
- Continually evaluates the quality, safety, and appropriateness of practices. Assesses the effectiveness of actions and initiates change in practice when appropriate.
Plans and prepares for surgical interventions based on the individual needs of the patient and surgeon.
- Collaborates with the Registered Nurse in the preparation of equipment and supplies needed for the planned surgical procedure.
- Reviews physician preference cards to ensure adequate case preparation. Anticipates the need for equipment and instrumentation and checks proper functioning prior to use.
Consistently provides a safe, efficient environment for the patient and the OR team.
- Verifies patient identification and actively participates in the �Time Out� process in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Correctly identifies and labels medications on the sterile field.
- Creates and maintains a sterile field. Actively identifies and communicates breaks in sterile technique or compromises to the integrity of the sterile field and takes appropriate actions. Ensures the application of aseptic/sterile technique at all times and by all members of the healthcare team.
- Utilizes sharps safety zone and properly disposes of all sharps per policy.
- Correctly performs sponge, sharps, and instrument counts in accordance with department standards.
- Demonstrates good working knowledge of sterilization procedures and high level disinfection.
- Associate may work in situations where they are required to handle medications during the distribution or administration process. They may have access to secured drug storage areas.
Demonstrates appropriate handling and care of all instruments and equipment. Loads and transports covered case cart to CS postoperatively in accordance with standards.
Correctly identifies and handles all specimens per department standards.
Demonstrates professionalism in interactions with patients, physicians, and co-workers. Promotes teamwork to provide safe, effective care to patients.
- Demonstrates flexibility to assist in achieving safe and effective staffing and surgery scheduling.
- Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers and physicians as needed and perform other duties as assigned. Promotes teamwork through leadership and direct participation.
- Responds promptly and positively to calls for assistance. Addresses patient and physician concerns in a timely manner.
- Projects a positive professional image and promotes a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates willingness to support department and fellow associates in an educational Mentor/Preceptor role as needed. Interacts with peers to support learning needs and provides assistance as indicated
Functions in the role of patient advocate in support of the patient�s rights, dignity, privacy, and best interest.
- Respects patient�s rights to privacy, dignity, safety and comfort. Delivers care in a manner that preserves and protects patient autonomy. Acts as patient advocate.
- Maintains confidentiality; Delivers care in a non-judgmental and non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to cultural diversity.
Evaluates factors related to safety, effectiveness, availability, cost, and impact on practice when planning and delivering patient care.
- Identifies and promotes the most cost-effective and environmentally conscientious method of providing safe and effective patient care in accordance with established standards.
- Contributes to cost control in the department and supports cost saving initiatives.
- Utilizes surgeon preference cards to appropriately open supplies for surgical procedures. Updates (adds/deletes) surgeon preferences per department standards.
- Effectively communicates with Central Sterile staff regarding instrumentation and sterilization needs.
- Utilizes technical advances in clinical care and information systems to provide eficient patient care
Demonstrates leadership related to the coordination of perioperative care across settings and among caregivers
- Demonstrates reliability to team and organization; reports to assigned room at the assigned time, dressed in appropriate surgical attire and prepared to begin assignment.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills using independent judgment and decision making; Holds self and team accountable for actions taken.
- Attends Team and Department meetings and education meetings per department standards.
- Provides input into department planning; Uses analytical skills to suggest process improvements.