Medical Assistant - MA - Dermatology-17002771
Care Site Description
St. Vincent Healthcare is part of SCL Health System, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and our focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health – and hope – to our patients.
- Billings, Mont. (est. 1898)
- Largest tertiary care hospital and Level II Trauma Center in Montana serving patients in eastern and south-central Mont. and northern Wyo.
- 2,100 associates, 529 medical staff
- 286 beds (201 are staffed)
Services & Expertise
- Cancer Care
- Children's Healthcare
- Comprehensive Regional Services
- Heart Center
- Orthopedic Services
- Women's Services
St. Vincent Healthcare is an award-winning hospital providing person-centered care. We are People Healing People throughout the communities that we serve, especially the poor and vulnerable.
The Medical Assistant provides support for clinic providers, office staff and clinic leadership and works under the supervision of the clinic physicians and clinic leadership. This position assists with patient examinations and treatments, performs various tests and maintains medical equipment and supplies. The position also assists in managing patient flow, both in the office and via telephone interaction, to facilitate organized and efficient patient care. Job roles and responsibilities emphasize a team-based approach to care and support each team being trained to the highest level of function by the state law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greets patients presenting to the clinic or on the phone in a customer friendly manner at all times.
- Gathers accurate information by interviewing the patients, verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics at each visit and obtaining patient signatures as appropriate.
- Pulls and prepares charts for visits, telephone calls and per request prioritizing based on urgency.
- Performs and records vital signs and patient history information including but not limited to chief complaint, allergies, and current medications.
- Performs designated procedures as directed by physician such as EKG, pulse oximetry, etc. (site specific.)
- Assists physician in taking patient history, chart documentation and progress calls.
- Performs suture removals as directed by physician.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to medical emergencies.
- Discharges patient and schedules follow up appointments, specialty referrals and tests as directed by physician.
- Communicates information to patient regarding test results and medical instruction as directed by physician.
- Communicates prescription requests to pharmacies via fax, phone and/or e-prescription services; records prescription requests in medical record.
- Maintains medication inventory and logs.
- Stocks exam rooms and maintains adequate and appropriate supplies in each room.
- Maintains cleanliness of instruments to promote the safety of patients.
- Performs phlebotomy tasks (site specific.)
- Collects and logs specimens.
- Assists in the coordination of laboratory and pathology result reporting process.
- Performs quality checks and maintains current log.
- Informs and prepares patients skin for procedures; assists physician with procedures as directed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medical terminology.
- Successful completion of in-services and competencies for site specific tasks.
- Current BLS certification.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team.
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers, including the Microsoft Office Suite, as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position.
: St. Vincent Healthcare Clinics, Billings, MT
: MT-Billings/Surrounding Areas-Billings
Department: SVB PSO-Dermatol & MOHS Surg
: Day Shift
: Apr 20, 2017, 8:33:04 AM