In this position, the Social Worker MSW ensures that patients receive timely and unimpeded access to the most appropriate, high quality, efficient, and cost-effective healthcare by working in a collaborative, supportive relation with the RN Case Manager, patient, family, and entire healthcare team. The MSW serves as a counselor to patients and families on advised behavioral changes and illness/life cycle adjustment processes and also provides emotional support to patient's and families in need. The MSW also serves as an advocate to guide and refer patient and family toward health promotion, illness prevention, and patient centered goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Social Work Services Provider
- Performs alcohol and other drug assessment, intervention, and counseling appropriate to patient needs and links patients with resources to rehabilitation outside the hospital setting
- Provides brief, on-going grief and adjustment counseling to patients and families with life-changing or terminal illness and provides them with resources to continued counseling and support outside the hospital setting
- Provides interventions with patients and families that involve ageing and life cycle adjustment planning as it relates to exploring options for moving through the care continuum
- Provides culturally sensitive interventions to patients and families
- Serves as a resource to other staff members on providing culturally sensitive interventions to patients of other cultures and backgrounds
Coordinator and Facilitator of Care
- Provides education and resources to patient/family throughout stay to assist in adjustment to the illness and hospitalization to facilitate the development and acceptance of discharge plans.
- Performs initial and ongoing assessments of patient's physical/function, emotional, social, spiritual, and financial needs of identified patients and implements crisis intervention and referral
- Serves as a resource to healthcare team throughout healthcare system in promoting evidence based medicine and provide education regarding healthcare and social resource systems to empower patient/family to access resources independently.
Advocacy and Brokerage
- Confers with physician regarding psychosocial issues that may affect healthcare management.
- Provides education and information to patients/families regarding Advance Care Planning. Assists patients/families in developing and completing Advance Care Plan.
- Provides information to patients/families regarding conservator ship and guardianship (throughout age-span), or facilitates presence of appropriate documentation in the medical record.
- Identifies possible situations of abuse, neglect or exploitation utilizing knowledge of physical and psychosocial indicators of abuse. Makes referral calls to appropriate agencies.
- Negotiates with healthcare agencies for services and identifies internal and/or external resources and refers appropriately to meet patient needs.
- Facilitates maximum access to benefits to meet discharge needs.
- Assists to assess, develop, and implement discharge patient/family needs and work with appropriate healthcare provider to procure necessary services for patient's and families with higher needs