In this position, the Polysomnographic Technician performs and evaluates Nocturnal Polysomnograms, Multiple Sleep Latency Testing and other related procedures as directed by the patient's physician.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Responsibilities/Patient Care and Assessment
- Performs and evaluates Polysomnograms-related procedures as directed by the patient's physician, recognizing sleep-induced changes
- Administer sleep medications ordered by provider
- Provides patient education regarding indications for use of medications and any adverse side effects
- Documents patient assessment and medications given in patient chart and in daily medication controlled substance log
- Perform patient education and instruction appropriate for out of center sleep testing.
- Provide patient education utilizing sleep center specific protocols.
- Triages all home care related questions and needs to the appropriate entity (physician, sleep center, home care company).
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, home care company and sleep center to ensure continuity of care.
Guided Special Procedures
� Applies and utilizes specialized instruments to record artifact-free electrical potentials from the brain, eyes, skeletal muscle and other physiological parameters
� Frequently interfaces polysomnograph system with positive airway pressure equipment for positive airway pressure titrations against respiratory events, oxygen desaturations, and arousals.
� Recognizes and responds to critical events that can occur in sleep, such as cardiac arrhythmias, seizure disorders and other medical emergencies.
Record Scoring Responsibilities
- Performs analysis of polysomnographic recordings, which includes scoring sleep/wake stages by applying professionally accepted guidelines.
- Prepares and generates detailed reports of sleep architecture, cardiac, respiratory and other physiologic events recorded through the night/day time hours.
- Assesses charts for complete patient information and verifies physician orders prior to procedure(s), assures additional forms are signed and witnessed, completes procedure patient charges.
- Documents all patient actions and observations and completes patient digital information panels.
- Participates in monthly interscorer reliability program, maintaining an 85% overall score
A review of this description has excluded the marginal function of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform another job-related duties requested by their supervisor in accordance with regulatory, legal, and organizational policies and procedures.