At MemorialCare Health System, we believe in providing extraordinary healthcare to our communities and an exceptional working environment for our employees. Memorial Care stands for excellence in Healthcare. Across our family of medical centers, we support each one of our bright, talented employees in reaching the highest levels of professional development, contribution, collaboration and accountability. Whatever your role and whatever expertise you bring, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential in an environment of respect, innovation and teamwork.
The RN, Scheduled 12-Hr Per Diem provides safe, cost-effective patient care through the health experience, according to established standards utilizing the nursing process, within the scope of practice of Registered Nursing, for the Float Unit at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center. Labor and Delivery nurses care for women and their infants during labor and childbirth. They are responsible for assisting, supporting and educating women during the four stages of delivery: antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum and neonatal.
Qualified candidates will be required to take and pass with a score of 85% or greater AWHONN's Perinatal Orientation and Education Program Modules III-IX: The Process of Labor and Birth; Complications of Pregnancy I & II; Postpartum Assessment and Nursing Care; Newborn Assessment and Nursing Care; Neonatal Complications; Perinatal Safety and Risk Management.
Orientation consists of:
Week 1: Hospital Orientation, Nurse Orientation, EPIC orientation.
Week 2: 3-12 hour shifts in L&D / couplet recoveries
Week 3: 3-12 hour shifts in L&D / couplet recoveries
Week 4: 2- 8 hour shifts circulating CS’s.
Specific labor and delivery nurse job duties include:
* Providing support for the mother during labor
* Monitoring the fetal heart rate, and mother’s vital signs
* Measuring the strength and timing of contractions
* Administering medications and performing diagnostic tests
* Consulting with physicians and other members of the care team
* Assisting with inducing labor
* Coaching the mother during delivery
* Identification and interventions for antepartum, intrapartum, peripartum, and postpartum complications.
* Assisting with various procedures, including Cesarean sections
* Monitoring and performing standard tests on newborns
* Providing education and support to mothers and families after delivery
* Must have good judgment, pay attention to details, possess the ability to make quick decisions and be able to work well with others.
* Good communication skills are also an important part of their job responsibilities, as they are typically in charge of providing education to new parents.