GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES –
The Registered Nurse is responsible for providing nursing care for acutely ill patients. The Emergency Department Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process, their skills in clinical judgment, critical thinking, prioritization, and time management to care for patients throughout the life span and with a variety of healthcare needs. S/He performs assigned procedures that are within the scope of practice as set forth by the Iowa State Board of Nursing.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
- Plans, implements, and evaluates all levels of patient care. Performs age appropriate assessments and safe care to all age groups.
- Triages patient needs and determines priority of needs.
- Documentation is appropriate using medical terminology and is reflective of nursing care provided as well as the patient’s response to care given.
- Collaborates with the healthcare team and outside agencies, as appropriate, to provide safe and efficient patient care.
- Coordinates the needs of multiple patients and prioritizes those needs to ensure they are met in a timely fashion, that quality care is provided, and patient flow is enhanced.
- Actively participates in developing professional goals.
- Assesses for patient and family knowledge and discharge needs as well as providing for the same.
- Recognizes common and advanced cardiac arrhythmias and intervenes according to ACLS and PALS algorithms.
- Monitors patient condition and technical equipment; performs routine and complex treatments.
- Administers medications using safe medication administration practices according to hospital policy.
- Responds to emergent situations in a calm, efficient manner and directs others appropriately.
- Complies with informed consent, transfer protocols, and other legislative requirements that preserve patient rights and ensure appropriateness of care.
- Maintains equipment and supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from colleagues and the general public both in person and on the telephone.
- Should have the ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, hospital policies, and technical procedures.
- Should have the ability to document in the electronic medical record in a concise and effective manner.
- Must have ability to calculate figures and amounts for computing doses of medications and IV fluids.
- Must have the ability to rapidly problem solve and deal with a variety of variables and set priorities as well as the ability to analyze data from a variety of sources and choose consistently appropriate interventions to maximize positive patient outcomes.
- Must demonstrate positive, supportive behavior to members of the healthcare team, patients, and families through effective communication, calm appearance and professional behavior.
- Graduate of an accredited program of Registered Nursing.
Preferably prior experience in emergency nursing. Six to twelve months Medical/Surgical or Critical Care nursing experience helpful.
- Current Iowa Registered Nurse License.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) within 6 months of hire
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 6 months of hire
- Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC) within 12 months of hire
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!!
Ottumwa Regional Health Center
Kelsey Johnson, SHRM-CP
Recruiting & HR Specialist
1001 East Pennsylvania Ave
Ottumwa, IA 52501
Tel: (641) 684-2372