At Stony Brook Medicine, a Telemetry Technician is a valuable member of our healthcare team, who monitors all patients as assigned. The Telemetry Technician enters patient data into the telemonitoring system, documenting cardiac rhythms and will communicate to nurses and physicians of any changes that are deviant of the patient's document baseline rhythm. The Telemetry Technician discuss the patient's cardiac activity and the necessity of Telemetry monitoring with the RN, MD and during handoff. The Telemetry Technician will ensure all monitoring equipment is in good repair and communicate with the biomedical department
Qualified candidates will demonstrate strong cardiac monitoring skills and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence. Duties of a TH CTS Cardiology Assistant/Telemetry Technician in Telemetry may include the following but are not limited to:
Brief Description of Duties:
· Observe cardiac monitoring tracing of all patients on the telemetry and/or computerized monitoring system/remote telemetry units.
· Describes characteristics of ECG rhythm. Documents rhythm according to policy & procedure.
· Demonstrate proper lead placement/proper skin preparation to obtain clear, readable six seconds strips.
· Provides rhythm strips to RN's for interpretation and mounting on patient's chart; provides RN with initial rate/rhythm interpretation within thirty minutes of admission to a monitored bed.
· Maintains monitor log with rhythm interpretation and parameter changes, if needed.
· Provides report to relieving technician including any significant rate/rhythm changes on any patients or problems/concerns on any monitored patients; reviews all new admission with oncoming technician.
· Communicate any significant rate/rhythm changes to RN and charge nurse.
· Maintains optimal operation of monitoring equipment.
· Cleans cardiac monitoring equipment as per Infection Control and Biomedical engineering standards.
· Maintains a current inventory of monitoring equipment.
· Reviews with Biomedical Engineering certain repairs and upkeep of monitoring equipment.
· Ensures that sufficient monitoring supplies are available at all times.
Minimum level education is High school diploma /GED
Plus an Emergency Medical Technician /Critical care (EMT/CC) OR Telemetry certification, LPN or RN.
Preferred Qualifications: One year EMT/CC or Monitor Tech experience. One year of healthcare experience.
Special Notes: The Search Committee will begin the review of applications on 3/4/19 and continue until the position is filled.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients' lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island's premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region's only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children's Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County's only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation's first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as
Internal Number: 1801788
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.