At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Physical Therapist is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Physical Therapist in the Center may include the following but are not limited to:
Brief Description of Duties:
· Plans and provides the physical therapy treatment programs for each inpatient and outpatient including the evaluation, treatment or prevention of disability, injury, disease or other condition of health using physical, chemical and mechanical means including, but not limited to heat, cold, air, water, sound, electricity, massage, mobilization, and therapeutic exercise with or without assistive devices, and the performance and interpretation of tests and measurements to assess pathophysiological, pathomechanical, and developmental deficits of human systems to determine treatment, and assist in diagnosis and prognosis.
· Coordinates physical therapy programs with other health care personnel i.e. occupational therapy, Nursing etc.
· Directs and aids patients in gait training, isokinetic exercise, posture training, therapeutic exercise, joint protection, desensitization, edema control, muscle sensory reduction and home program.
· Constructs and/or supplies splinting, adaptive and exercise equipment.
· Directs and trains patients in the care and use of assistive devices, prosthetic and orthotic devices including wheelchairs, canes and crutches. Gives instruction in postural control and therapeutic procedures such as neurodevelopment techniques to be continued by the patient and/or parents. Adapts conventional physiotherapeutic techniques to meet the needs of patients unable to comprehend.
· Evaluates, records and reports patient's progress for other members of the Rehabilitation team.
· Participates in patient care evaluation studies and in quality improvement studies.
· All other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications: NYS license as Physical Therapist or eligible.
Preferred Qualifications: Two plus years PT experience in acute care setting
Special Note: This is a per diem position, hours and days may vary.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients' lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island's premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region's only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children's Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County's only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation's first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as
Internal Number: 1900612
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.