Location Address: 401 Palmetto Street, New Smyrna FL 32168
Top Reasons to Work At AdventHealth
Career growth and advancement potential
Faith Based organization
State of the art lab facilities
You will be responsible for:
* Must be able to politely deal with pediatric, adult and geriatric patients and family members.
* Obtains blood specimens from infant, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients in a safe and accurate manner.
* Performs venipunctures, finger sticks or heel sticks depending on the particular patient.
* Performs Urine Drug Screens and urine collections
* Performs and operates POC equipment as needed for Patient care
* Cares for and maintains supplies, equipment and work area on a daily basis
* Uses computer to generate collection lists, specimen labels, receive specimens, order tests, print reports, etc.
* Records proper information (i.e. time of collection, time of receipt) in the computer.
* Arranges work priorities as follows: STATs, Critical Care, Timed specimens, and Routine specimens. Resolves uncollected specimen problems before leaving work and communicates effectively to the next Shift Phlebotomists
* Assesses a situation, considers alternative and chooses the appropriate course of action, informing the Coordinator/ Lead of any information necessary to ensure accurate results and cares for equipment and supplies including taking inventory and restocking, reporting any supply or equipment problems to the Coordinator/ Lead
* Required to drive Company Vehicle and to travel to any outside facilities as needed
* All phlebotomists are required to assist as needed in the Emergency Department.
* Responsible to receive samples from the Emergency Room (pneumatic tube system)
* Must be familiar with all Laboratory Safety and Infection Control policies and procedures,
* Fire /Safety policy and procedures, Laboratory Manual policy and procedures and Phlebotomy Policy and procedures
* Performs numerous clerical duties
* Responsible for registering outpatients, and ordering tests when needed.
* Training of students or new phlebotomists
* Assist with additional duties in the phlebotomy area as needed
* May be required to participate in the Quality Improvement Committee or in QI activities or projects.
* May be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
* Required to train new employees and assist as a Preceptor for the Dept.
* Must Complete competency for training in the area with Phlebotomy Coordinator
What You Will Need:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* The work is performed independently necessitating self-motivation, interpretation and development of policy and the efficient management of multiple, often conflicting priorities
* The employee must use her/his own judgment or initiative to resolve problems. The consequences may be extensive. Mature judgment and initiative is required.
* This position requires ongoing contact with others. Contacts within and outside the hospital are constant and significant. Interacts with patients, family members, visitors, physicians, physician office personnel, nursing personnel and all laboratory personnel. These contacts often require special tact to resolve problems, create good impressions and maintain good will.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* High school diploma or GED is required.
* Must have high school level mathematical and reading skills.
* Must have 24 months consecutive experience in a Hospital setting environment.
* Must be proficient with newborns, infants and children as well as geriatric, adolescents, and adults of all ages.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
* Required: Current and valid Certification by Nationally recognized Phlebotomy (A.S.P.T.)
* Valid Florida driver's license with a clean driving record is required for Company Vehicle
Obtains specimens from assigned pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients in a safe, accurate and comfortable manner, following established standards and practices. Performs all computer related duties associated with phlebotomy services. Responsibilities include the adherence to the Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan, to the rules and regulations of all local, state, and federal agencies and to the standards of all accrediting bodies
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.
AdventHealth Greater Orlando (formerly Florida Hospital) is one of the largest faith-based health care providers in the United States. For 150 years, we have carried on a tradition of providing whole-person care that not only addresses patients' physical ailments, but also supports their emotional and spiritual well-being. We demonstrate the same level of compassion and care for our employees as well, doing all that we can to help them realize their full potential – both personally and professionally.