Help lead health care into the future. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health has both the stability that comes with success and the values you can be proud to represent. If you're looking to leverage your abilities - you belong at Banner Health.
The Sterile Processing Department (SPD) in a highly regulated department that services every unit in the hospital. The goal is to be prepared for each and every case that walks through the doors of our faciltiy. The recent implementation of the Peds cardiac program has added to the demands on the department. As we move forward with trauma the complexity of the department will continue to increase as we strive to meet the needs of our growing case volumes and need for quick turnovers. Our ability to maintain stability with our outside units is also a priority in addition to meeting the demanding regulatory requirements. The high demands of a very busy OR require the ability to adapt and make reasonable and quick decision making. This position will need to have a strong SPD knowledge base, be able to maintain relationships with all staff, physicians, vendors, and understand the needs of the patient in real time.
This position is for a Full-time Senior Manager for the Sterile Processing Department of all three SPD locations in the Tucson area, BUMCT, BUMCS, and BUNC. This is an exempt position for day shift with responsibilities overseeing the SPD team.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patientcare, teaching future health-care professionals andconducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for itsspecialized pediatric services including neonatal andintensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies.Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is SouthernArizona's only Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we carefor the most critically injured patients. The hospital isconsistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in theprestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & WorldReport. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful carehas been recognized with Magnet (tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital'sphysicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty servicesinclude comprehensive heart and cancer care, advancedneuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplantprogram.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for all operational, technical, and personnel activities associated with sterile supplies and services provided to all nursing and non-nursing units within the hospital.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Establishes, implements, and administers section goals, objectives, policies, procedures, new programs and services. Makes forecasts based on volume trends to meet budget and staffing needs. Ensures section goals are compatible with and enhance hospital and overall goals and objectives.
2. Maintains a competent and motivated staff through appropriate selection, training, discipline, feedback, and termination of subordinate personnel as needed. Develops staff through assessing performance and promoting education and training. Promotes employee empowerment and engagement.
3. Works to align function and processes to work as a system. Leads teams to improve dept efficiency, and engages in synergistic problem solving through effective communication, delegation, coaching/counseling, and active listening. Leads by respect, integrity, example, and service.
4. Ensures cost effective operation of all assigned areas while assisting with appropriate budget preparation, monitoring, and controlling of department expenses. Identities and implements methods for reducing operational, supply, and equipment expenditures while focusing on standardization and utilization. Ensures compliance with all appropriate state and federal regulatory agencies.
5. Ensures all department products and services are provided in accordance with hospital needs and expectations. Identifies and implements methods for reducing expenditures, leads teams and contributes to efforts to improve standardization and utilization, resulting in increased efficiency and customer satisfaction.
6. Interacts frequently with physicians, nurses, department managers, supervisors and other professional and non-professional staff members to provide quality sterile processing services. Assess customer satisfaction levels while obtaining direct feedback regarding the department performance, resolving problems, and identifying new opportunities to improve services and cost effectiveness. Promotes positive customer service attitude both within and outside the department by maintaining effective working relationships. Promotes win-win relationships with internal and external customers.
7. Facility responsibility. Incumbent assists the operating room and other areas in the procurement of medical supplies, instruments, and sterile processing issues. Internal customers are other company staff, physicians, patients, visitors, managers, and executives. External customers are vendors, patients, visitors, other facilities, and non-company medical facilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge typically obtained with bachelor's degree.
Requires national certification as a SPD Technician or Surgical Instrument Processor within conditional period or 6 months after assuming position.
Requires proficiency typically acquired with 5 years Sterile Processing experience including knowledge of surgical instrumentation, patient related supplies, materials and equipment, aseptic and sterilization techniques. Must have 2 years of leadership experience in a management position. Requires national certification as a SPD Technician or Surgical Instrument Processor within conditional period or 6 months after assuming position. Must possess effective organizational, communication and human relations skills as the incumbent will coordinate projects simultaneously and working closely with all levels of staff.
Requires computer skills and the ability to research and compile statistical reports.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS National SPD Manager Certification preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R8911
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.