Ensures continuity and consistency of the research proposal process under occasional guidance. Facilitates the protocol process from submission to completion..
Prepares, reviews, and processes new research proposals, amendments, and continuing review applications prior to committee meetings.
Prepares for and facilitates committee meetings by creating and pre-reviewing agenda templates and meeting materials, incorporating regulatory education, and documenting discussions.
Completes and distributes Committee Action Letters and Final Approval Letters.
Manages Continuing Review notification(s) prior to expiration date of protocol.
Performs oversight and verification of database entries.
Routinely initiates and performs quality audits. Assists in conduct of compliance reviews and directed audits. Provides analysis of results and identifies alternatives for resolution of issues.
Assists with development and revision of existing policies and procedures as well as development of new policies and procedures.
Provides training and acts as internal consultant to staff. Provides training for committee members and the research community.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE (ADVANCED):
- Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
PROBLEM SOLVING (ADVANCED):
- Uses critical thinking and process improvement i.e. coaches and mentors development of problem statement, describes current state, identifies root causes, creates future state, coaches and mentors development of solutions and action plans with a sustainability plan. Applies appropriate tools to address issues.
QUALITY ASSURANCE (ADVANCED):
- Understands the goal of increasing organizational productivity and individual performance by making the products and services within your work assignments more efficient and more effective.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (ADVANCED):
- A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
- Clearly, effectively and respectfully communicates to employees or customers.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
Bachelors Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience
Additional Qualification Information:
Certified IRB Professional Certification (CIP) required within the first year of employment in this position. Nursing license and/or CCRA, CCRC, CCRP or RAC certification preferred.
Day Shift/Exempt Position
The Human Research Protection Program Mission
the safety, rights and welfare of human research participants through:
- with Investigators, key study personnel, other supporting institutional bodies and external entities towards a common goal of protecting human research participants.
- guiding and supporting the development of research based on sound research design and strong ethical principles that contribute to scientific and scholarly advances in behavioral, social, biomedical and other sciences.
Developing and Implementing
human research protections education programs on the application of IRB policies and procedures, and Federal regulations and guidelines.
education of Investigators and key study personnel resulting in an up-to-date and knowledgeable research community in human research protections, regulations and institutional policy and procedures.
with Investagors and key study personnel in the development of research programs to facilitate compliance with regulations, and assuring adherence to FDA and other regulatory guidelines, ethical considerations and institutional policies related to human research protections.
a Community Outrearchy Program that serves the Nashville community for education on the rights of research participants.
an Outreach Program for the Vanderbilt Community to educate them on the Federal regulations and human research protections.
- Post Approval Monitoring of human research activities to assure compliance with Federal regulations, VHRPP and institutional policies and procedures.
a continuous quality improvement program through continuous assessment, evaluation and action
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday.
mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report:
#1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.