Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. We've united under a common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. It's a lofty goal, but it's one we're committed to seeing through. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Our Float Pool team is growing! We are looking for someone who is passionate about working in healthcare and providing great service to our patients! As a Support Services Aide, you will have the opportunity to be trained in and float to 3 different departments: Culinary, Environmental Services (EVS), and Transport. You will be a valuable asset in ensuring the best possible service to our patients and customers, while expanding your skill-set in a multitude of areas.
BLS Certification is required. Prior work experience in Culinary, EVS, and Transport preferred.
This is a full-time position that consists of a mix of two shifts: 5:30am-4:00pm and 11:00am-9:30pm (self-scheduling process, completed by team members on a monthly basis, shift preferences not guaranteed). Weekend rotations are required in this role. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential and an 18%-night shift differential when applicable.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
University Medical Center Tucson Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is nationally recognized for providing exceptional patient care, teaching future health-care professionals and conducting groundbreaking research. Also located onthe campus is Diamond Children's - recognized for its specialized pediatric services including neonatal and intensive care, emergency medicine and cancer therapies. Banner - University Medical Center Tucson is a Level 1 Trauma Center, meaning we care for the most critically injured patients. The hospital is consistently listed among the nation's top hospitals in the prestigious Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report. Our nurses' innovative, safe and thoughtful care has been recognized with Magnet(tm) designation fromthe American Nurses Credentialing Center. The hospital's physicians are full-time faculty of the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson. Our specialty services include comprehensive heart and cancer care, advanced neuroscience techniques and a multi-organ transplant program.
POSITION SUMMARY This position functions across multiple departments based on a daily assignment to a specific department. It is a blended role encompassing responsibilities in Food and Nutrition Services, Environmental Services and, if required, Patient Transport. The position performs all cleaning of patient rooms and/or assigned areas. Works as a member of the environmental service team to ensure the safety, health, and high morale of patients, visitors and staff by helping to provide a clean, safe, and aesthetically pleasing environment with minimal interference to others. This position works as a member of the food service team on one or more assignments in cleaning, food preparation, patient trayline or retail cafe. Provides service and assistance to patients, staff and other customers in accordance with established dietary and retail cafe policies and procedures. If assigned to Transport, this position transports patients and distributes requested items as needed throughout the facility in accordance with department/facility policies, procedures and protocols.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs a variety of assigned cleaning tasks, including dusting, mopping, scrubbing, disinfecting, vacuuming and polishing according to departmental policy and procedures. Must plan the completion of these tasks per shift. Empties hampers and transports of soiled linen. Empties trash containers and removes all trash. Empties all medical waste containers, including sharps.
2. Cleans and sanitizes dishes, flatware, trays, cups, glasses and cooking utensils. Also cleans and sanitizes designated equipment and kitchen areas disposing of all waste materials. Monitors dish machine temperature.
3. Collects, cleans and disinfects patient care equipment and all other reusable items. Maintains cleanliness of departmental equipment and notifies appropriate personnel as repairs become necessary. Protects equipment from damage by proper use; properly logs out and in equipment that has been used.
4. Inventories, restocks and replenish supplies such as toilet tissue, paper towels, and hand soap, located in all assigned areas of the facility. Maintains par levels of foods and/or supplies in assigned areas, orders and/or restocks items in accordance with established routines, rotates food stocks, checks expiration dates.
5. Provides distribution services of requested items between various departments as needed in accordance with established procedures that may include medications.
6. Responds to questions and requests from patients, staff and visitors. Meets or exceeds goals for customer service satisfaction. Responds to all job calls in a timely manner. May utilize computer system to track and update requests. Communicates status updates and location information as required in accordance with department protocols to help facilitate work flow.
7. If assigned to Transport, transports patients safely and efficiently between various departments following appropriate transfer techniques and proper isolation/infection control procedures. Validates patients' identity based on established department protocol. Remains alert to patient condition and promptly communicates changes to clinical staff.
8. Prepares all assigned foods and nourishments in the correct quantities, following established procedures, portion control and food quality standards. Assures that food presentation continually meets standards. Checks and records food and equipment temperatures according to defined procedures and reports any discrepancies to the supervisor.
9. Under regular supervision, this position has responsibility at an assigned facility/area only. Internal customers include facility staff, physicians, nurses, patients, visitors, supervisors, managers, and executives. External customers include visitors, patients, and employees from other company and non-company facilities. Requires the ability to follow a work routine with regular supervision, to work quickly and correctly while providing good customer service and maintaining sanitation standards. The work requires the ability to follow instructions and guidelines for the use of cleaning chemicals and be able to work in physical contact with them.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
BLS certification required if supporting patient transport function. Must be able to learn food handling regulations and pass certification tests as required.
Requires interpersonal skills to operate in a direct patient contact environment. Ability to interpret verbal and written information/instructions and effectively communicate with others. Requires the ability to work independently and as part of a team without continuous supervision. Must be able to interpret and respond to verbal and written instructions. Must demonstrate basic knowledge of computer skills, organizational skills, problem solving skills, and ability to function with minimal direction in a fast-paced environment. Must be able to read and understand material safety data sheets and instructions for mixing and use of cleaning chemicals, and able to fill out chemical identification stickers. POS (cash register) when applicable. If required by facility, may be required to possess a valid driver's license and be eligible for coverage under the company's auto insurance policy.
Previous related experience and familiarity with environmental services equipment and cleaning techniques is preferred. Six months previous healthcare or customer service experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.