Duke Primary Care is the largest primary care network in the greater Triangle area with family medicine and internal medicine providers, and pediatricians in 34 locations throughout the Triangle.
General Description of the Job Class
Job Title: CLINICAL TECHNICIAN II
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Pay Target: C1
Job Code: 4031
General Description of the Job Class
Perform a variety of the technical procedures involved in the procurement, processing and evaluation of patient specimens for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease; teach and perform routine clerical and technical procedures including specimen collection, responsible for the delivery of supplies and procurement of specimens from physicians' offices, clinical specimen preparation and processing for analysis and dispatch, patient registration and order entry; and serve as hospital laboratory representative and liaison with outside clients.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized procedures.
- Prepare and initiate special tests and procedures including, but not limited to, cytogenetics, general laboratory, Point-of-Care Testing, urinalysis without microscope, phlebotomy, cyto preparatory, and specimen management.
- Communicate in a professional and courteous manner with patients, family and other medical personnel as necessary for problem recognition and initiation of the resolution and, if necessary, escalation to the next level. Obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Perform a variety of routine and specialized specimen preparation procedures including, but not limited to, general laboratory specimen preparation, cytology specimen preparation, cytogentics specimen preparation.
- Perform various quality control, safety, and infection control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Receive and process specimens as required by respective laboratory area procedures and protocols.
- Participate in the distribution of specimens, supplies and reports to the appropriate laboratory staff; perform messenger/courier activities as required.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; stock supplies on carts and hand trays; wash glassware.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software
- Assist in training new personnel; provide technical assistance to new employees, students as assigned.
- Maintain specimens and/or slides. Prepare reagents, dyes, etc. used in the processing of specimens.
- Perform routine maintenance as required by laboratory procedures.
- Assist with word processing, miscellaneous office tasks and maintaining office records.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education High School diploma or GED. For assignment to phlebotomy, completion of a structured phlebotomy training course and clinical rotation recommended.
Alternatively, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Must have at least 2 year's experience as a Clin Tech I or Certification as a Phlebotomist plus achieve required competency level for specified job responsibilities.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
For assignment to Phlebotomy Services, certification as a Phlebotomist by a nationally recognized board/agency* is required; certification of Basic Life Support preferred. Pediatric Phlebotomy requires Pediatric Phlebotomy Certification.
National Healthcare Association (NHA) --Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomy Examination (CLPlb), American Society of Clinical Pathologists-- Phlebotomy Technician Examination [PBT(ASCP)], International Academy of Phlebotomy Sciences (IAPS), National Phlebotomy Association (NPA), American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic phlebotomy and specimen processing techniques.
- Knowledge of medical terms preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Effective professional communication skills to interact with patients/ customers.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Job Code: 00004031 CLINICAL TECHNICIAN II Job Level: C1
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.