Location: Miami, Florida
Admin / Clerical
Greets patients and families in person or on the telephone. Obtains demographic, third party payer, financial information, medical information, and identification to schedule, admit, or register the patient for Health System. Obtains authorization and collects payments when required.
Job Specific Duties
- Complies with applicable governmental regulations HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) and EMTALA (Emergency Medical Treatment Active Labor Act).
- Coordinates patient transfers/admissions in collaboration with LifeFlight, Admitting Nurses, and Physician as appropriate.
- Greets patients/families in person or on the telephone, treats them in a courteous, respectful, empathetic manner, responds to questions and/or problems, and keeps open lines of communication.
- Interviews patients/families to obtain demographic, third party payer, and other financial/medical information, and identification to schedule, pre-admit/admit, or pre-register or register patients.
- Verifies third party payer information via the web or telephone.
- Obtains appropriate authorization for Health System and physician services.
- Documents all activities in the collection notes file of the computer system as appropriate.
- Directs families to appropriate place to receive their service by phone, text, email, and/or in person.
- Calculates patients’ financial responsibility estimates based on their insurance benefits and contracts, and provides information to patient/family.
- Notifies patient/family of deductibles, co-payments, deposits required for admission or registration, and advises/requests payments for out-of-pocket expenses.
- Communicates with departments if any issues/questions arise or to accommodate any special needs for patients.
- Notifies management of any insurance/financial discrepancies for approval.
- Obtains and validates prescription when appropriate and communicates with physician practice, if necessary.
- Scans all documents in the appropriate folder in the computer system.
- Obtains all necessary consents for patient treatment either in person or over the phone.
- Verifies patients are accompanied by legal guardian and notifies Risk Management/Social Services if patient is present with anyone other than his/her legal guardian.
- Collects payments and provides receipts.
- Responsible for placing/monitoring patients arriving for services by using the patient’s tracking system.
- Corrects any registration errors made utilizing the QA system.
- Schedules Health System services as appropriate.
- Activates trauma/medical patients ordered by charge nurse and visits trauma room in collaboration with social services to obtain patient information.
- Participates in disaster drills, provides disaster packets, and replenishes as needed.
- Receives incoming cue calls and handles as appropriate.
- Insures adult approval has been received for patients over 21years of age.
- Identifies duplicate financial and medical record numbers and handles as appropriate.
- Performs down time manual registration as needed.
Minimum Job Requirements
- One year of customer service experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High School education or equivalent preferred.
- Fluent in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Basic proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- One year of experience working with medical terminology, procedures, diagnosis codes, and insurance strongly preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Able to accurately enter and interpret data.
- Able to adapt and react calmly under stressful conditions.
- Able to relate cooperatively and constructively with customers and co-workers.
- Able to serve customers with courtesy and respect.
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Able to follow complex written and/or verbal instructions to solve problems.
- Able to establish necessary professional relationships, and interact effectively with internal and external customers.
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus